homemade hamburger buns.

Thursday, October 23, 2014

 




I truly enjoy making bread. For the most part, the recipes are really simple. My intentions with food are if I can make it, why buy it?  Plus bread on average should have about about 5 ingredients, store bought bread...not so much...I can't even pronounce half of those ingredients...and I try not to eat food like that. 

However if I am being honest, most days it is soooooooooo much simpler to grab the $1.29 off brand buns and throw them in the grocery cart. But more often than not, I forget to buy items from the store that I needed for a meal. I like to forget the buns, a lot. When I forget the buns it forces my hand to make them. When I make them I always remember how easy it is, how healthy they are, and how good they taste. 

You'll need:
  • 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil and sugar and allow it to sit for 5 mins. Add the egg, salt, and flour. Knead (or use a kitchen aid ) for about 5 mins...until dough is elastic. You can allow dough to rise for about 30mins or so...but if your short of time you can skip this part...it doesn't make a huge difference. Shape dough into balls, this recipe is enough for 10-12 buns. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown and BAM! homemade buns in less than an hour.
 
If you would like to add seasoning to the top of the buns just brush a little egg white on top of the buns before baking, and top with seasonings of your choice. My favorite are: poppy seed, sesame seed, garlic salt, and sea salt and rosemary. 
 
 
Have you ever made homemade hamburger buns?
Would you ever try this?

Jenni Price said...

This sounds really do-able. Seriously. Maybe I should give it a try. I've always wanted to make bread and these hamburger buns might be good to try!

susan jakovina said...

I cannot believe you make your own bread! You are seriously my hero.
My mama still does - all the time. That and crepes. Almost daily.

It's therapeutic!